Vienna High Altitude Balloon

I’ve been quiet for some time again becaus I became a member of the vieHAB Project. It was started about 4 years ago by Erwin (OE1FEA) but remained dorment for the most of this time. We met at the monthly Metafunk amateur radio meeting where I attended a course to get my ham radio license.
Basically I wanted to do such a project for a long time but never got around doing it. So I jumped the opportunity and became hardware guy. The whole project will be published as OSHW. For our first start vieHAB-1 we will use ready to use modules like an arduino and ublox gps on breakout boards with a backplane.
It is planned to have 2 cams, 2 temperature and preassure sensors, 2m and 70cm radio, GPS and SD-card on board for the first start. I will keep you posted on progress every now and then.

Server Upgrade

w00t w00t If you noticed I was down several times now for some days. This was because my little server actually became too small and I needed to upgrade it. This is also why I haven’t done a video this week. It will be some time until this blog works like expected again but I have to work in my spare time which is not too much atm. Next up is my mail system – away from zimbra towards a hand-made setup. Maybe I can do a video tomorrow, until then, hack on!
http://pixelatedgeek.com/2009/04/1337-keyboard/

AE EP#47 Raspberry First Steps

Sooo, I finallly got around setting up my raspberry, nothing too special but maybe it helps some people.

The thing with the screen was rather easily resolved (if only I could have been able to see something :).

It involves pretty much tinkering and the trapezoid picture of the tube didn’t help.
In the end I added to the /boot/config.txt file to this:

overscan_left=18
overscan_left=10
overscan_left=-1
overscan_left=-25

The framebuffer_width/height are set back to normal.

OpenShot – first impressions

So a few days ago my PC just went out and a elyt cap released its magic smoke. Turns out it was the power on circuitry. Dammn! The board wouldn’t power on anymore so I had to suck it up and pay some $$ for a new machine – only problem: my olde xp wouldn’t boot anymore so I couldnt use the old pinnacle video editing software that came with some tv card years ago. Dammnit! But I wanted to put out at least the two RBOC videos I had lined up so I looked for some alternatives that would work on ubuntu. I had tested some of it about 2 years ago and became very frustrated with the state of OSS video editing software. KINO didnt do anything and all the other things I tried wouldn’t desever the alpha state. But now I tried OpenShot. I must say its far from perfect – hell, I couldn’t use it in a day to day basis, but its almost there for me.

Whats Cool: it almost has everything I need. Cutting, titles, two tracs, fadings. thats it. And it can export h264 (if you installed non-free). The video quality is amazing (actually better than my old sw).
What I need: The most important thing is that I would need a waveform display of the audio in the video track. Without it its basically impossible for me to cut the quirks out of my vids. Thats the most important thing. Other than that its just a basic whishlist: double click on the preview makes fullscreen, the arrangment of controls looks unfinished and undesigned, the titles system could be a bit more streamlined. Its just stuff like that.

If the software grows in this direction it could easily become my primary video editing tool. I don’t need fancy transitions or effects just the basics. with this, my whole production process would be OSS completely. So long your AE

PS.: Almost forgot: I need to import from the camera directly, I know many ppl don’t use tapes anymore but I just don’t have the cash for a new cam 😀 and dvgrab is the opposite of workflow…

AE EP#44 Simple Electronic Dummy Load

Several years ago Dave Jones posted a vid about a very simple current sink and I wasn’t too successful replicating it then on prototyping board and went on to make one a little different. lately I wanted to go back and do it properly this time to test the mini-psu’s and the sources on my broken Tektronix 2236. I think it became a neat little build and plan to expand on it putting it into the multi module case with some atmega and 7-segment displays. Here is the vid:

A zip file containing everything is here: DC_load

The rendering of the Design…
board_render_cut
…and the real version:
IMG_5671

whoop whoop